I viaggi del Capibara

Oporto

« Older   Newer »

1.     +1   -1

Aspetta...ecco ci sono quasi...si è lui... PROOOOT!!!

Group
    Administrator
    Sono gloria,ho lasciato la patente sul tavolo, accanto alla frutta

Status
    Anonymous

IMG_3333

Porto is a historic and varied city, from the warren of narrow streets that make up the ancient Ribeira district through to the grand plazas of the Avenida dos Aliados. The region is famed for the production of Port, which is still stored in the vast cellars that stretch along the banks of the mighty Douro River.

The Ribeira district

The oldest district of the city which is filled with ancient houses, narrow cobbled streets and numerous family owned restaurants, cafes and bars keeping the old architecture and structure.

There is no clear way or path to follow. As always the best way to apprciate this type of area is to put your map and guide in the bag and just wandering around.

The city is divided into 2 parts, that can be easly reached using the "Luiz I" bridge

IMG_3311 IMG_3314 IMG_3312

the top of the bridge can be reached using the cableway or the stairs

IMG_3316 IMG_3325 IMG_3336

and from the top you can enjoy a nice view of the city and even have a look the the ocean

IMG_3324 IMG_3326 IMG_3327 IMG_3330 IMG_3331

Both sides of the river can be "crossed" using the Gaia teleferico

IMG_3333 IMG_3334

Video

The south bank is famous fot the production of the Oporto wine.
    It is amazing how the weather changed so quickly!!!

IMG_3335

The wine is still made in the old way ( there is actually a new way of doing wine?!??!) and kept in the old barrel.
    It is plenty of Port cellar and port tasting tours, however, I am not a big fan of wine and alcohol so I skipped this part. It was too hot too!!!

real2_19738663405343d48b5348c_1

The north bank is plenty of small restaurants and caffetteria, where you can enjoy good local food. However, I found a bit crowdy for me :)

IMG_3304

This part of the city is the oldest, with medieval walls and churches.
    As mentioned before , I was just wandering around without any plan, and I ended in the The Igreja de São Francisco.

IMG_3300 IMG_3301

Unfotunatelly, despite the ticket, you are not allowed to take photos inside.

4245363750_6ea1d4d3f3_b_-_Copy Church-_Of-_Sao-_Francisco-81358_-_Copy Porto_attr_28

and just on the back the "Case do enfante", which is a moedrn art museum now.

IMG_3299

Strolling the Oporto cobblestone streets somehow feels more Portuguese than Lisbon. This might have something to do with the charming old facades, the less glowing locals and the abandoned buildings in the middle of the city.

Porto is about embracing the flawed, celebrating the imperfect fairy tale… And the sad, colorful facades can make your heart melt as much as the old people perching over the 18th century windows, curious about the travelers wandering their streets.

IMG_3288 IMG_3296 IMG_3297 IMG_3298 IMG_3303 IMG_3284 IMG_3285

Perched on a hilltop standing watch over the city, the Porto Cathedral (known as the Sé) was originally built between the 12th and 13th centuries, and features a variety of architectural styles, including Romanesque, baroque and gothic. The fortress-like church is the largest in the city and one of Porto's oldest monuments; it's flanked by twin towers and has a rather plain stone facade.

IMG_3289 IMG_3290 IMG_3291 IMG_3292

But inside the Sé you'll find a beautiful stained-glass rose window, a collection of centuries-old sculptures and a silver altarpiece that was once used as the bishop's study. Meanwhile, the cloister boasts cobalt and white ceramic tiles that depict different scenes from religious history. Most travelers say visiting the church and cloister is absolutely worth an hour or two, noting that the exterior is remarkable but the interior is exquisite.

20110421-se porto-cathedral-cloisterd-walkway Porto.Cathedral.original.13105

From here you can enjoy a nice view of the city, with the typical red roofs.

IMG_3293 IMG_3294 IMG_3295

If you are a Harry Potetr fan, I am sure you know the famous Lello & Irmão Bookstore, one most beautiful library in the world.

No doubt the library is beautiful, with an excellent neo-gothic façade, where you can see two figures painted by José Bielman, representing the Science and the Art. This facade is only surpassed by its stunning interior, designed by Xavier Esteves. However, if you hope to enjoy the place, better you run away.
    Is packed with people and you hope to take a nice photo, forget about it!!! :)

These photos are not mine

beautiful-bookstore-world-porto-lello-irmao-1 Livraria_Lello_Irmao_Porto_14

0 replies since 21/8/2017, 17:45   90 views