I viaggi del Capibara

Zagreb

« Older   Newer »

1.     +1   -1

Aspetta...ecco ci sono quasi...si è lui... PROOOOT!!!

Group
    Administrator
    Sono gloria,ho lasciato la patente sul tavolo, accanto alla frutta

Status
    Anonymous
    Crossing the border between Slovenia and Croatia is a strange experience.
    For most of my travels I have moved by plane between countries, or when the distances were short, by bus or train. The experience of crossing a country not part of the EU is strange, with twice getting of from the bus and checked the passport, the bus controlled in&out, police,army. a piece of land that officially does not belong neither to Slovenia or to Croatia and nearly 2 hours to cover 200mt.

In Zagreb there is no way you can get lost, The town is nice and pleasant to walk around, but is small, and for me one day was enough to have a look around and get an idea.

Getting from the bus/train station most likely you will ended up into the main square, Ban Jelačić Square, named after the statue that stands here. Local and not gather here for events and concerts, however, I found it overcrowded and nothing special.

central1 central2 central3

Walking behind the square you can get to the old tows, which once were merged to form the modern city. Passing through the Stone Gate, you get access to the old medieval town. The gate is the only remaining entrance of Zagreb’s old fortifications. Stone gate is the only gate preserved today. It was built in 13th century as one of four main gates leading to the town. Within the gate, you will find a shrine and stone slabs praising the Mother of God. The shrine of our lady of the Stone Gate houses the painting of the Mother of God. Which miraculously survived the 17th-century fire and is protected by an artistically forged iron fence.

IMG-5979 IMG-5980 IMG-5981 IMG-5982 IMG-5983 IMG-5984

Saint Mark’s Church is Zagreb’s iconic building due to its signature colourful tiled roof. It is one of the oldest buildings in Zagreb dating from the 13th century. You will notice the Southern portal. It is equally important as it is the richest looking gothic portal in Croatia. The portal consists of 15 sculptures (11 stone gothic sculptures and 4 wooden baroque sculptures) in 11 niches. Sculptures present Virgin Mary with the Child, Christ, St. Mark and the apostles.

IMG-5985 IMG-5987 IMG-5988 IMG-5989 IMG-5991

Lotrščak Tower is one of the oldest standing buildings in Zagreb. The remains of old town walls and fortifications.

Screenshot

From the tower, you can enjoy the view of the Zagreb Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, formerly known as St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Once you get to Kaptol Square you will see it is dominated by Zagreb cathedral which has been there since the 11th century.

IMG-5992 IMG-5993 IMG-5996 IMG-5997

IMG-5998 IMG-5999 IMG-6002

Dolac market is Zagreb’s main open-air farmers’ market. The place locals buy their food. Full of life and colour.

D246-65-232-1200 dolac-market-in-zagreb-2 IMG-5994

0 replies since 28/9/2019, 13:16   38 views